Saturday, June 12, 2010

Found: Italian floor tiles



I love old Italian floor tiles. Every so often I find a few at the Porta Portese and lug them back to Seattle (here the key word is 'lug' as these tiles are really old, thick, and heavy.) I have amassed quite a stack over the years. I know what you are thinking - what on earth do I do with them? Well, I always thought that I would make a tabletop out of them, something like this:


But when I was down in Sorrento, my fabulous hotel, La Tonnarella, provided me all sorts of great new ideas. They have hundreds of these old tiles set in beautiful iron frames that they have hung all over the hotel:


Look how they have turned these old tiles into amazing planters:

Inspired, I did a little searching online and discovered a few more uses for these tiles. My new favorite reuse is as a colorful back splash:



Don't you think these would look great behind the sink or even the stove? I could also envision setting them into the terracotta tile in my studio/garden suite floor, imitating a big rug, similar to what they have done at this floral shop in Rome:



Or maybe I should create a stunning focal point in the yard, like this at the Agriturismo Seliano?



So many options! But I think I may need a few more tiles first!
LS

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails